Tuesday, February 9, 2010

We heart Reading.

We heart Reading

We love reading in our house. A couple weeks back I decided that we needed a few new books for the girls so I went out and purchased some on my night out. I headed down to our local Chapters, got a Starbucks and started to look through the kids section. I ended up with the 3 books seen in the above picture.

1. I love you Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt
2. The Smartest Giant in Town by Julia Donaldson
3. Lost & Found by Oliver Jeffers


I actually went with the thought of purchasing Julia Donaldson's The Gruffalo's Child, but the book store was out of it, so I ended up ordering it along with Room on the Broom. Julia Donaldson's books are great. We got The Gruffalo from the mom of one of my best friends when Charlotte was born and it instantly became a favorite in our house. Any of you that have read it know that it is a fun book that flows well while reading it. It starts off...

"A mouse took a stroll through the deep dark wood.
A fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good.
Where are you going to little brown mouse?
Come and have lunch in my underground house.

It's terribly kind of you, Fox, but no--
I'm going to have lunch with a gruffalo."


The story continues on like that. It is a fun book to read and all children love it. If you haven't read the book then I suggest getting it from your local library or purchasing it. We have many many favorites in our house but here is a list of our top 10 kids books.

1. The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
2. Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munch
3. The Great Paper Caper by Oliver Jeffers
4. Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken by Kate DiCamillo
5. Smartest Giant in Town by Julia Donaldson
6. The Apple Pie That Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson
7. All Strawberry Shortcake Books
8. Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee
9. The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
10.Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi


I am patiently awaiting the warmer weather again so we can make regular trips to the library (sometimes it sucks only having one car). I would love to hear what your favorite children's books are so that we can add them to our list of books to borrow from the library.

Happy Reading.

“The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fade.”

- Anthony Trollope

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I Love You Stinky Face!! I forgot about that book! I used to get it from the library and read it to Gracie when she was a tiny baby... aw, that brings back happy memories. Now she is into adventurous chapter books, like The Wizard of Oz and anything Roald Dahl - a big step from those chunky books I loved to read her when she was small :)