Friday, October 9, 2009


Flashback Friday... 1982

Traditions are big in our family....and the biggest of all is the Smartie birthday breakfasts. Mmmm what more can you ask for then waking up to a breakfast of presents and smarties. As a child it was almost better then Christmas. Each and every year on my birthday (October 8th) I would wake up with the anticipation of eating smarties for breakfast... no other day could I eat chocolate for breakfast, so I usually ate them all up in a hurry :) This tradition was passed down by my dad who grew up with the same tradition. The picture above was a picture of my "special" birthday... it was special because I was turning 8.. the number of my birthday day October 8th. Because this was my special day we invited my family from overseas. Grandma and Grandpa from Switzerland and my Aunt/Uncle and cousin from Japan. Having grown up with two immigrant parents I wasn't fortunate like most of my friends to visit grandparents every weekend. Although it did mean I visited Switzerland and Ireland quite a bit...so I was very fortunate in that way.

Yesterday was my 33rd birthday and I woke up to smarties on the table just as usual... I still love it as much today as I did back in 1982. I have passed this tradition down to my girls now...I hope they continue it with their children.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Smarties for breakfast! What an awesome birthday tradition! We have to have our Smarties mailed out by my British in-laws, but mmm... they are good!

Happy birthday yesterday!

Tia Colleen said...

Awww, such a cute story!! Thanks so much for posting a flashback, it was really fun to read.

Had I known your birthday was coming up, I would have sent something!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! (Did you have cake?!)

jessicajane said...

i love traditions. yours is a very neat one too! happy belated birthday!

Amy said...

So your special birthday is the one that matches your birthDATE? That means I've already missed my oldest sons! He's now six but was born on the 2nd... Are there do-overs??