Monday, July 6, 2009

How does your garden grow?

The Beginnings - May 19, 2009

I never knew having a garden could be so rewarding... and I don't mean the veggies or fruits that you get. I always thought gardening was for old people... mothers, fathers, grandparents! Well, I think I finally get it. People always said its kind of a zen thing... and perhaps they are right. Growing up I hated having dirty hands and still do.. but the power of pretty gardening gloves as helped me. My husband and I have lived in our house for 5 years now (mental note... don't forget 5 year wedding anniversary this year) and I haven't done a thing in our gardens. Anything that was done was done by our parents that were embarrassed by our lack of interest or gardening skills. Well I'm not sure if its because I have children now but I suddenly feel the need to garden. So I finally got off my duff this year and made my very first vegetable garden. I decided to start small to see if I liked it and to see if anything even grew! WOW.. to my surprise... I have vegetables. And I love it. Here is a pic of the radishes in the beginning of June.


See my tiny radishes! Aren't they cute.



Now they are huge. I have harvested only 12 radishes so far. Mmm

I am very excited to see what else grows. Unfortunately we have been having quite a lot of rain here in Canada and so the veggies that love sun are taking longer to grow then usual... Hopefully Mr. Sun will come out and play soon... Mamma's got veggies that need to grow.

What's in my garden you ask?
  • radishes
  • tomatoes
  • carrots
  • spring onions
  • cauliflower
  • beans
  • peas
  • corn
  • watermelon
  • brussel sprouts
  • and many many herbs in barrel pots.


Don't mind the clover and weeds growing my garden... when things were first starting to come up I didn't know the difference between the plants so I left everything... I'm slowly sifting through it and pulling the weeds and grass.

I'm not sure what else will grow.. I'm sure the tomatoes will... but I'm just excited that something grew at all. This fall I will definitely be making the beds bigger and I will build a fence to keep those pesky rabbits out :)




0 comments: