Monday, May 25, 2009

Weekends are for treasure hunts

I had a busy busy weekend... but it was lots of fun. Saturday was spent at home with the girls, doing gardening while Pappi worked during the day. I also spent time going to bulk barn and making tons of tiny baggies with candies in them for the treasure hunt I was planning on Sunday. On Saturday evening I invited my mom and niece over to have dinner and to watch the Eurovision contest that we had recorded from the week before. We had a lovely time and Ella had fun putting maple keys on the kids noses. Lottie decided she didn't want to go to bed, so she stayed up and watched the Eurovision with us till about 9:30 and fell asleep in my arms... she's so cute.
The whole family was up early on Sunday... excited and ready for the treasure hunt at Opa's. We were supposed to leave the house by 9am so that we could be at Opa's for 9:30am... but that never happened. I always forget to factor in at least 1.5 - 2 hours to get ready to leave the house. With two children now, its becoming increasingly difficult to leave the house in a timely manner. Anyhoo.. we made it to Opa's (my dad) house for shortly after 10am. I unpacked all the kids and then set to work setting up all the pathways for the children. Each child was to hunt or follow the pathway of bags of treats with their own assigned ribbon colour. Sophia had to hunt for bags with pink polkadot ribbons on them that ultimately matched the bags they recieved at the end of the hunt. I made library book bags for each of the children and then put some sticker books and other summer toys in them. The kids had a good time looking for the bags... but I think they had more fun just being able to run wild on the farm. Sophia always enjoys going to Opa's for that very reason. My dad and Wende made a really nice lunch of salad and quiche... hot dogs for the kids and homemade pie from Edna Staeblers cook book for dessert. It was perfect.

By 2pm we were all tired and ready to head home back to the city to have naps with our kids. I had a really good time ( I think my friends did too) . I find with all of us having families and children now it is becoming more and more difficult to get together. I think it would be perfect if we could do something once a month with all the children...maybe I'll make that a goal for this summer. I think it is important. Life is too short... you should spend it with those you love... and I love my friends and family. Next month I think we will go to the donkey sanctuary that is just 20 minutes from home. I'll post on that later.

0 comments: